Est. 1996

See me on Sunday's or be sure to mention my name
I promise you will be taken very good care of!

Listen on Google Play Music

EastonMass.com
EastonMass.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Easton Issues and Discussions
 Roads, Traffic, Land Use
 Rt. 106 Bridge repair
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Burt
Administrator

USA
16798 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  3:39:35 PM  Show Profile  REPLY
See me on Sunday's or be sure to mention my name
I promise you will be taken very good care of!

quote:
Originally posted by toto

How big was this little bridge to begin with? I don't recall ever driving in that area. Do cars drive over it or is it a walkway?
If a bridge was too extreme, what else could have replaced it?

Most folks didn't know it was there, it's about a half mile down from Wendy's heading into Easton, there is a small intermittent stream that flows underneath. Apparently it was originally constructed entirely in red brick which was eroding.

--Burt Lewis
EastonMass.com
@EastonMass
Go to Top of Page

m56ek
Senior Member -- More than 400 posts

448 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  3:49:16 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

There was a spot near the bridge where you could put a canoe or kayak in the water. Is the stream part of the Hocomock swamp or a part of the Canoe River?
Go to Top of Page

Burt
Administrator

USA
16798 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  4:04:18 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by m56ek

There was a spot near the bridge where you could put a canoe or kayak in the water. Is the stream part of the Hocomock swamp or a part of the Canoe River?

--Burt Lewis
EastonMass.com
@EastonMass
Go to Top of Page

s-mcgill

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  06:54:40 AM  Show Profile  REPLY

There was a parking area ... I Did venture down that stream by canoe years ago..
Go to Top of Page

Peter5

911 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  09:10:51 AM  Show Profile  REPLY

The river on the West Bridgewater line is the mighty Queset (actually Cowesset then Hockomock once it leaves Easton. It travels south and flows into Lake Nippinicket. Behind the Charlie Horse there is a dirt road called Maple St off Pleasant St. You can park there and walk to Raynham. Maple St crossesthe Hockomock River and the power lines.

The canoe River is (or at least was) canoe-able from Plain St in Norton to lake Winnecunnet Pond but it takes some work to canoe the upstream sections.

The Snake River from WInnecunnet to Lake Sabatia is a better trip except you can hear the highway some of the time.

Go to Top of Page

JoJo
Advanced Member - More than 1000 posts

1136 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  09:45:53 AM  Show Profile  REPLY

It just looks to me like they went elaborate on the whole project. They are doing more work there than just replacing the bridge.
Go to Top of Page

MeredithCo

2068 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  11:25:27 AM  Show Profile  REPLY

Looks like they are installing sidewalks- which the state seems to have been doing on state roads for the past several years anytime an improvement project occurs
Go to Top of Page

JoJo

1136 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  11:50:47 AM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by MeredithCo

Looks like they are installing sidewalks- which the state seems to have been doing on state roads for the past several years anytime an improvement project occurs

Did not know that sidewalks were part of the project, but it explains the size of the construction site.
Go to Top of Page

leroy

1247 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  4:43:34 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by Peter5

The river on the West Bridgewater line is the mighty Queset (actually Cowesset then Hockomock once it leaves Easton. It travels south and flows into Lake Nippinicket. Behind the Charlie Horse there is a dirt road called Maple St off Pleasant St. You can park there and walk to Raynham. Maple St crossesthe Hockomock River and the power lines.

The canoe River is (or at least was) canoe-able from Plain St in Norton to lake Winnecunnet Pond but it takes some work to canoe the upstream sections.

The Snake River from WInnecunnet to Lake Sabatia is a better trip except you can hear the highway some of the time.

http://www.nortonma.org/sites/nortonma/files/uploads/section_2-south_of_red_mill_road_to_north_of_newland_st.pdf

this is interesting if you know the area. who knew there were rainbow trout up as far as the red mill rd dam in the canoe "river" ?

Edited by - leroy on 05/15/2017 4:44:57 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
EastonMass.com © 2000-02 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000