Est. 1996

Listen on Google Play Music

EastonMass.com
EastonMass.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Easton Issues and Discussions
 Town Administrator
 Town Administrator Update - FY2018 Goals
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sunnyday
Advanced Member - More than 1000 posts

1281 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  4:26:25 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

I only HOPE that the BOS will review Mr. Reed's goals and objectives and adjust, edit and add a few of their own, something the past BOS did not want to do with Mr. Colton. I would love to see MORE discussion on what is going on in each department and I would also like to know about potential issues and upcoming ideas/plans PRIOR to the BOS meeting they are being discussed at.

I also would like the BOS to step up and tell the new TA they want their Agenda Packet in a more timely fashion so they can review what is coming up. Currently they are lucky if they get it 3 days in advance, and that is on a Friday so that leaves them the weekend to read it and you know that doesn't happen. Not to mention the expectation for some of this review is a vote or comments 3 days later. It is ridiculous. Other tows either meet weekly so they are always in the know OR get their packets at least a full week and some 2 weeks in advance.

My honest opinion is we should hire a Contract Negotiations Consultant. Mr. Reed has no prior experience and Mr. Colton gave the baby away with the bathwater. It would be a real benefit to Mr. Reed and the town. IMO.
Go to Top of Page

JoJo
Advanced Member - More than 1000 posts

1125 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  5:06:50 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by Sunnyday

I only HOPE that the BOS will review Mr. Reed's goals and objectives and adjust, edit and add a few of their own, something the past BOS did not want to do with Mr. Colton. I would love to see MORE discussion on what is going on in each department and I would also like to know about potential issues and upcoming ideas/plans PRIOR to the BOS meeting they are being discussed at...

I am continually dismayed when Mr. Reed is asked by the chair if he has any TA notes at the BOS meetings, his response has been, "I have nothing prepared". What???
Go to Top of Page

Burt
Administrator

USA
16770 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  6:22:53 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by JoJo
I am continually dismayed when Mr. Reed is asked by the chair if he has any TA notes at the BOS meetings, his response has been, "I have nothing prepared". What???


That is totally unacceptable. Who is to blame? You, me and every citizen that allows it including the entire BOS. Meetings should be weekly and he should be reporting on what he is accomplishing week to week.

--Burt Lewis
EastonMass.com
@EastonMass
Go to Top of Page

JoJo
Advanced Member - More than 1000 posts

1125 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  6:25:57 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by Burt

quote:
Originally posted by JoJo
I am continually dismayed when Mr. Reed is asked by the chair if he has any TA notes at the BOS meetings, his response has been, "I have nothing prepared". What???


That is totally unacceptable. Who is to blame? You, me and every citizen that allows it including the entire BOS. Meetings should be weekly and he should be reporting on what he is accomplishing week to week.

Could not agree more but just wait until his disciples defend him.
Go to Top of Page

Burt
Administrator

USA
16770 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  6:47:06 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by Sunnyday

I only HOPE that the BOS will review Mr. Reed's goals and objectives and adjust, edit and add a few of their own,...
Not going to happen. Maybe Mr. Barger will take the lead LOL? Don't hold your breath...

...I would love to see MORE discussion on what is going on in each department and I would also like to know about potential issues and upcoming ideas/plans PRIOR to the BOS meeting they are being discussed at...
This should be a standard weekly ongoing exercise. One department head each week and when they all are done, it starts all over again.

I also would like the BOS to step up and tell the new TA they want their Agenda Packet in a more timely fashion so they can review what is coming up...
He's got more than enough help now and maybe they don't know or care to streamline the process. ...not going to happen...

...Other tows either meet weekly so they are always in the know OR get their packets at least a full week and some 2 weeks in advance...
It will never happen under an initiative from him or the BOS. I think a signature campaign might do it.

...My honest opinion is we should hire a Contract Negotiations Consultant. Mr. Reed has no prior experience...
There is absolutely no transparency in the process that makes up 80% of the town budget, as a matter of fact, it's extremely secretive. I've said this many times now and I guess I'm the only one that realizes that employee pay increase advocates are on both sides of the bargaining table and always have been and there is absolutely no citizen taxpayer representation. Until that changes, hold on to your wallets people...
[/quote]

--Burt Lewis
EastonMass.com
@EastonMass
Go to Top of Page

toto
Senior Member -- More than 400 posts

USA
816 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  11:09:20 AM  Show Profile  REPLY

Connor convinced us at the time he was hired that he was more than capable of handling all Town contract negotiations. Do we have any reason yet to doubt his word?

As far as all other town business is concerned, is it possible that Connor is working on resolving all of the issues stated In the above post but is not quite ready to present his plan to the Town? You never know. Wouldn’t hurt to ask him.

I’d hate to write him off so soon, but I’m concerned that after he was hired as our TA he no longer had to answer to anybody but himself and he’s only doing the work he wants to do. He’s young and has a lot to learn. The leadership in this town needs to keep a close eye on our new Town Administrator and his work performance, for his good and ours. It looks like people are already somewhat dissatisfied. We shouldn’t let this continue.

Edited by - toto on 01/25/2018 11:11:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Burt
Administrator

USA
16770 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  6:20:57 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by toto
...The leadership in this town needs to keep a close eye on our new Town Administrator and his work performance...


Exactly, and that leadership, the BOS, is letting him off the hook. If he's not reporting on the status of the town at BOS meetings, then who is he reporting to at all? Have the union contract negotiations begun? Who is representing the town, the schools? Is there a plan, are there goals? Is there a tie-in to the audit report?


--Burt Lewis
EastonMass.com
@EastonMass
Go to Top of Page

JoJo
Advanced Member - More than 1000 posts

1125 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  6:39:22 PM  Show Profile  REPLY
See me on Sunday's or be sure to mention my name
I promise you will be taken very good care of!

quote:
Originally posted by Burt

quote:
Originally posted by toto
...The leadership in this town needs to keep a close eye on our new Town Administrator and his work performance...


Exactly and that leadership, the BOS, is letting him off the hook. If he's not reporting on the status of the town at BOS meetings, then who is he reporting to at all? Have the union contract negotiations begun? Who is representing the town, the schools? Is there a plan, are there goals? Is there a tie-in to the audit report?



The more they let him off the hook the more it will go on, that's what happened with Colton. Reed should be giving some type of update at every meeting, and not just what's on the agenda, that is what "TA notes" are for.
Go to Top of Page

Burt
Administrator

USA
16770 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  6:45:42 PM  Show Profile  REPLY
See me on Sunday's or be sure to mention my name
I promise you will be taken very good care of!

quote:
Originally posted by JoJo
The more they let him off the hook the more it will go on, that's what happened with Colton...


In the 10 years as TA, Colton was never asked to report on the general activities, accomplishments and issues of the departments. If he was required to do that at each BOS meeting, the Town Clerk bylaw process would have come up.

--Burt Lewis
EastonMass.com
@EastonMass
Go to Top of Page

JoJo
Advanced Member - More than 1000 posts

1125 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  6:55:14 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by Burt

quote:
Originally posted by JoJo
The more they let him off the hook the more it will go on, that's what happened with Colton...


In the 10 years as TA, Colton was never asked to report on the general activities, accomplishments and issues of the departments. If he was required to do that at each BOS meeting, the Town Clerk bylaw process would have come up.

Colton was asked if he had any "TA notes" at every meeting, never said much.
Go to Top of Page

leroy
Advanced Member - More than 1000 posts

1238 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2018 :  8:56:24 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

we have created an environment here of complete autonomy for a TA once the ink is dry
on their contract. its hard not to be that way when the entire board they (should)
report to could turn over in the length of one contract. the last one proved that to
part company, even for cause, will cost the town a several hundred thousand dollar paid
vacation to do so. these type of jobs are some of the greatest available today.
Go to Top of Page

Laura
Advanced Member - More than 1000 posts

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2018 :  10:41:01 AM  Show Profile  REPLY

when I got emails from him, they were usually written on his IPAD,
suggesting that he was often "working" from home.

I know it cost us a lot of money to boot him and most likely unnecessarily, but if he had remained in office, he would have done a lot more damage to this town.




quote:
Originally posted by Burt

quote:
Originally posted by JoJo
The more they let him off the hook the more it will go on, that's what happened with Colton...


In the 10 years as TA, Colton was never asked to report on the general activities, accomplishments and issues of the departments. If he was required to do that at each BOS meeting, the Town Clerk bylaw process would have come up.


Laura
Go to Top of Page

JoJo
Advanced Member - More than 1000 posts

1125 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  4:07:44 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by Laura

when I got emails from him, they were usually written on his IPAD,
suggesting that he was often "working" from home.

I know it cost us a lot of money to boot him and most likely unnecessarily, but if he had remained in office, he would have done a lot more damage to this town.


It was absolutely necessary to get rid of Colton and high praise to the three BOS members who saw to it.
Go to Top of Page

leroy
Advanced Member - More than 1000 posts

1238 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  6:10:09 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

there has to be some way to enforce accountability to avoid similar situations to
the last administrator. a direct report subordinate was not doing a major part'
of his job for almost a decade. not once, not a month or a year but eight
consecutive years. a quick monthly or quarterly thumbs up or down on very dept.
you oversee ? is that too much ? just for starters before a plan for dealing
with ipads from the beach, etc.
Go to Top of Page

JoJo
Advanced Member - More than 1000 posts

1125 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  6:27:53 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by leroy

there has to be some way to enforce accountability to avoid similar situations to
the last administrator. a direct report subordinate was not doing a major part'
of his job for almost a decade. not once, not a month or a year but eight
consecutive years. a quick monthly or quarterly thumbs up or down on very dept.
you oversee ? is that too much ? just for starters before a plan for dealing
with ipads from the beach, etc.

Without question it was gross negligence of his job.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
EastonMass.com © 2000-02 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000