Est. 1996

Listen on Google Play Music

EastonMass.com
EastonMass.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Topics & Misc.
 Computers, Technology, Internet, Social Media, TV
 The 5 Jobs Robots Will Take First
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Burt
Administrator

USA
16770 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  07:04:48 AM  Show Profile  REPLY
See me on Sunday's or be sure to mention my name
I promise you will be taken very good care of!

quote:
1 – Middle Management

If your main job function is taking a number from one box in Excel and putting it in another box in Excel and writing a narrative about how the number got from place to place, robots are knocking at your door. Any job where your “special and unique” knowledge of the industry is applied to divine a causal relationship between numbers in a matrix is going to be replaced first. Be ready...

https://tinyurl.com/jdqs69z

--Burt Lewis
EastonMass.com
@EastonMass

JarvisMit
Starting Member - Less than 50 posts

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  05:38:38 AM  Show Profile  REPLY

That's a funny way of putting it, but it's true. This won't happen nearly as fast as people are predicting though. Turns out, making these kinds of 'robots' is a bit trickier than it seemed.
Go to Top of Page

MeredithCo
Advanced Member - More than 1000 posts

2059 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  5:18:01 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

Good thing I'm retiring soon. But I think Jarvis is right. It won't happen as fast as predicted.

Go to Top of Page

MeredithCo

2059 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  11:29:55 AM  Show Profile  REPLY

I've seen "narratives" created by humans in business analytic write ups that are essentially worthless to senior management and certainly could be programmed to be produced automatically.

But I'd be surprised that everyone's special industry expertise could easily be replaced by a computer. In many industries, external forces change rapidly, with new, unanticipated trends affecting the business. And they are not always obvious to uncover. Additionally, someone's going to have to tell the programmer/developers what to include to produce ever changing "narratives". Predictive modelers need someone unusually skilled in the business to create an accurate model.

Today I read in the paper that the jobs of medical coders in several Boston hospitals (Partners Healthcare) are going to be outsourced to India. I would think that of all jobs, that would be fairly easy to automate if "machine learning"/"data mining" was as good as everyone says it is. I'm sorry these people are losing their jobs , and I hope they are vindicated after Partners experiences less than stellar success with foreigners trying to read lengthy/complex medical notes and assigning a code. In my own experience, most of the technical foreigners really only understand 80% of what is said or what they read in English, and it's the 20% that matters in a quality final product.

Go to Top of Page

PeteHound
Junior Member - More than 100 posts

133 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  8:32:43 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by MeredithCo

Good thing I'm retiring soon. But I think Jarvis is right. It won't happen as fast as predicted.

I may be mistaken but aren't you a realtor? Realtors never retire...they just escrow away...

Go to Top of Page

MeredithCo

2059 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2018 :  12:23:25 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

Pete Hound,

No , I am not the realtor. She is younger and prettier. Well , my husband would agree about the former but not the latter.

Not sure why everyone thinks I'm her ; just like some think Leroy is Lee but he's not.

Go to Top of Page

PeteHound
Junior Member - More than 100 posts

133 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2018 :  9:38:12 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

I think it because realtor Meredith comes across as smart and articulate when I've met her and you do also. You also come across as compassionate and kind. I think you'd make a good selectwoman.
quote:
Originally posted by MeredithCo

Pete Hound,

No , I am not the realtor. She is younger and prettier. Well , my husband would agree about the former but not the latter.

Not sure why everyone thinks I'm her ; just like some think Leroy is Lee but he's not.

Go to Top of Page

MeredithCo

2059 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2018 :  08:04:18 AM  Show Profile  REPLY
See me on Sunday's or be sure to mention my name
I promise you will be taken very good care of!

Thanks for the kind words Pete.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
EastonMass.com © 2000-02 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000