Est. 1996

Listen on Google Play Music

EastonMass.com
EastonMass.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Easton Issues and Discussions
 The School and Town Operational Audit
 Public Safety - Police
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Burt
Administrator

USA
16770 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  6:25:01 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

There are 29 pages packed with details, findings and recommendations. There are a lot of issues discussed within the lengthy "Findings" sections that should be addressed one by one. Here is one example from the findings:

"During our on- site visit we reviewed the Property and Evidence function and the Case Management system with Chief Sullivan and the Detective Sergeant. Based on our discussions with the Detective Sergeant we believe the Detective Division lacks the personnel resources to properly maintain the Property and Evidence function and the Case Management system."

These are the recommendations:
======================================

Patrol Staffing

Recommendation

The current Patrol staffing levels are appropriate to staff the current Patrol Plan. If the Town of Easton determines that the School Resource Officer positions or the additional Detective position (recommended below) are needed, then these positions should be filled by adding additional personnel to the budgeted staffing levels.

Assigning Two (2) School Resource Officers

Recommendation

Our purpose here is not to value the SRO positions. Certainly, the importance and critical need for an SRO program is a decision best left to the Police Chief, School Superintendent and town leaders. However, we do not believe the positions can be filled with the current staffing levels without creating a large increase in the overtime budget or depleting critical patrol services to the citizens of Easton.

Assigning Patrol Officers as "Officer-In-Charge

Recommendation

We believe the agency should provide a training program for all officers who could be assigned to a supervisory position and a short orientation with a Patrol Sergeant to assure the officer can properly handle the responsibilities of the position. Just as an agency would not assign a new sergeant to supervise personnel without an acceptable training program, we should not expect an officer to take on the same duties without some level of training and guidance.

Detective Division Staffing

Recommendation

We recommend that the Town consider assigning an additional Detective to the Unit to free up the Detective Sergeant and Property/Evidence Detective to spend the appropriate amount of time on those critical activities.

Use of Overtime

As we mentioned earlier, the agency should be tracking overtime use to identify the reasons for overtime usage and make management decisions on the need for overtime to staff discretionary activities.

Use of Compensatory Time

We recommend that the Town make an effort to reduce its liability in this area by ensuring that the practice of limiting Compensatory Time to twenty-four (24) hours per year is followed.

https://eastontownma.documents-on-demand.com/Document/a5392198-e329-e711-80be-001fbc00ed85/6%20%20Police.pdf

--Burt Lewis
EastonMass.com
@EastonMass

s-mcgill
Average Member - More than 300 posts

USA
397 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  06:42:09 AM  Show Profile  REPLY

I think the town is already understaffed.
Now we have that monstrosity next to Target, just waiting for trouble.
Traffic is on the increase, etc.
Yes the Police need more personnel!
Go to Top of Page

MeredithCo
Advanced Member - More than 1000 posts

2059 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  08:01:17 AM  Show Profile  REPLY

Right on, smcgill.
Go to Top of Page

Burt
Administrator

USA
16770 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  08:07:41 AM  Show Profile  REPLY
See me on Sunday's or be sure to mention my name
I promise you will be taken very good care of!

quote:
Originally posted by s-mcgill

I think the town is already understaffed.
Now we have that monstrosity next to Target, just waiting for trouble.
Traffic is on the increase, etc.
Yes the Police need more personnel!

I hope the town during negotiations with Avalon factored in the need for extra police. Will the extra property tax revenue cover it? If they don't pay for it, you know who will.

--Burt Lewis
EastonMass.com
@EastonMass
Go to Top of Page

MeredithCo

2059 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  11:20:31 AM  Show Profile  REPLY

I don't think so Burt, but Carol would know definitively.
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  1:37:36 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

Knowing Carol, she advocated for everything she could for the town. She has always battled for the residents.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

JoJo

1125 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  1:51:24 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by Laura

Knowing Carol, she advocated for everything she could for the town. She has always battled for the residents.

She needed help, it was a tough battle.
Go to Top of Page

DMcLeod
Junior Member - More than 100 posts

199 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  2:34:12 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

Too bad the new Chairman has no fiscal comprehension at all. I hope he leaves it to others to figure out.
Go to Top of Page

TWMSeven11
Senior Member -- More than 400 posts

845 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  3:08:25 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:

I'm sure that Carol did fight for this but the other selectmen simply brushed her concerns aside and rubber stamped the project.
Go to Top of Page

JoJo

1125 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  4:27:12 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by TWMSeven11

quote:

I'm sure that Carol did fight for this but the other selectmen simply brushed her concerns aside and rubber stamped the project.

It was 4-1 most of the time if not all of the time.
Go to Top of Page

jc1974
Average Member - More than 300 posts

361 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  10:34:57 AM  Show Profile  REPLY

I believe Colton and the Consultant for these projects said that they would be at least "revenue neutral" or "slightly positive". So either they are right or it is another reason he should have been removed as TA. Time will tell.
There were a number of discussions about this here on EastonMass.com while these meetings were happening.

Edited by - jc1974 on 05/03/2017 10:36:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeredithCo

2059 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  12:41:57 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

I am skeptical that the project will be revenue "positive" or "neutral" and I think Carol was absolutely right to question it.

Let's not forget that Avalon Communities has a checkered past with huge fires at their apartment complexes, including one in Quincy which had faulty construction and were lacking fire barriers.

How about that "hostage" situation 2 weeks ago at the huge new Norton 40B complex. It turned out to be a hoax call but police and fire resources were tied up for several hours; other residents had to "shelter in place" and traffic could not go through on rte. 123. I realize that these incidents are not limited to 40B projects and that they can happen anywhere, but I think anytime you have a large concentration of people in one place you are more likely to have public safety issues.
Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  3:18:32 PM  Show Profile  REPLY
See me on Sunday's or be sure to mention my name
I promise you will be taken very good care of!

Time will tell whether this was a good deal. I am just glad that we had Carol Nestler advocating for us.

Laura
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
EastonMass.com © 2000-02 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000