Est. 1996

Listen on Google Play Music

EastonMass.com
EastonMass.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Easton Issues and Discussions
 Economic Development Council
 proposed new construction in the Industrial Park
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Author  Topic Next Topic  

pr
New Member - More than 50 posts

90 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  1:27:35 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

Just saw the following description of a new business that'd like to come to Easton on pages 20-21 of tonight's BOS agenda packet:

quote:
Our business plan anticipates 159 full time jobs in Easton when the 60,000 square feet facility is operating at full capacity. These jobs will include managerial, cultivation, and administrative positions with salaries ranging from $30,000 to $100,000 per year with benefits. We commit to working with the town on listing and filling CAC positions with Easton residents whenever possible.

CAC is offering to pay a PILOT representing 100% of the commercial property taxes for the facility, non-profit status notwithstanding. We estimate these taxes to be between $70 $80,000 per year. At the beginning of Year 2 of operating, CAC is also committing to an additional $25 - $50,000 donation per year to the town. We will be responsible for infrastructure and road access improvements as well. Our anticipated construction and improvement costs in Easton total nearly $8.2 million, with much of that being directed to local contractors and businesses

http://eastontownma.minutesondemand.com/Document/baeb2d6c-ed2b-e611-9e45-001fbc00ed84/Board%20of%20Selectmen%20Agenda%20Packet%20June%2006,%202016.pdf

New business? Check
Doesn't need a tax break? Check
Doesn't need sewers? Check
Located in the industrial park? Check
Experience running a successful operation in other states? Check

So ... what's the catch?

quote:
D) Presentation by Commonwealth Alternative Care
Commonwealth Alternative Care (CAC) proposing to
construct a new medical marijuana cultivation facility
located on 5 acres of land in the Easton Industrial
Park with an initial building footprint of 60,000 square
feet. As the market and demand for medical marijuana
matures, they hope to expand that footprint up to
92,000 square feet. Daniel Delaney, CEO will make a
presentation regarding the proposed facility. I have
attached four documents for your review. They are
seeking a letter of support.

Yep. Our very own industrial-scale indoor pot farm, run by some of the folks who've built and run larger-scale operations in Colorado. Unlike other agribusinesses in town, there are no plans for an onsite farm stand.

Laura
Advanced Member - More than 1000 posts

USA
1556 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  1:32:28 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

There will be armed guards and lines out the door.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Billd
Senior Member -- More than 400 posts

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  1:53:50 PM  Show Profile  REPLY
See me on Sunday's or be sure to mention my name
I promise you will be taken very good care of!

quote:
Originally posted by Laura

Laura

Are your referring to tonight's BOS meeting or the proposed pot farm facility in Easton industrial park? :)
Go to Top of Page

JoJo

1136 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  2:18:57 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by Billd

quote:
Originally posted by Laura

Laura

Are your referring to tonight's BOS meeting or the proposed pot farm facility in Easton industrial park? :)

Or the Override vote?
Go to Top of Page

MeredithCo

2068 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  3:28:59 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

So I suppose the pot facility will bring their tax payments to the town in cash since no bank will open an account for them? Bring on the armed guards!

Medical marijuana is getting a lot of scrutiny these days- just this past week 2 doctors in Mass. lost their medical licenses and there was the Mass. police officer that was recently killed by a crazed driver who just had visited a medical marijuana facility....

Add to the fact that there is not yet any concrete scientific evidence that medical marijuana to support the use of it.
And have you been to Colorado, PR? If so you would know that car accident injuries have risen and the direct cause is...big surprise...marijuana use.

Is this the best we can do Easton???

Go to Top of Page

Billd

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  3:38:46 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

The proposed location appears to be close to another marijuana facility , including dispensary, located within a couple miles in Brockton on 1200 Chestnut Street.

http://ingoodhealthma.com

Edited by - Billd on 06/06/2016 3:39:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

pr

90 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  4:13:47 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by MeredithCo
And have you been to Colorado, PR?

Colorado? Yep. It's a beautiful state. I've visited there a number of times, including:

- before 2000, when they first passed medical marijuana laws
- between then and 2010, when those laws were broadened
- between then and 2012, when it was fully legalized

On any of those visits, I'm guessing that the happy stoners wandering barefoot down the streets of Boulder probably weren't the only folks in the state getting high. Other than that, I have no relevant personal experience.

Admittedly, I haven't gotten back there in the past few years, but I'm confident that Colorado is still a beautiful state.
Go to Top of Page

pr

90 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  4:44:49 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

quote:
Originally posted by Billd

The proposed location appears to be close to another marijuana facility , including dispensary, located within a couple miles in Brockton on 1200 Chestnut Street.

http://ingoodhealthma.com

Huh. Given how much that facility is paying Brockton per year for a much smaller operation, should the BOS negotiate for more?

http://franklin.wickedlocal.com/article/20150610/NEWS/306109999

As you said, the Brockton facility also includes an on-site dispensary, whereas the Easton proposal would just be growing for dispensaries in Cambridge and elsewhere. Don't know if that makes it more or less valuable on a per-square-foot basis.

I pity the poor appraiser who has to assess the "highest and best use" for this parcel.
Go to Top of Page

Sunnyday

1281 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2016 :  2:34:01 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

Who said it will not require water/sewer??
Go to Top of Page

Liberty_Adam
Average Member - More than 300 posts

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2016 :  6:00:22 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

Doesn't sound like a great idea to me...
Go to Top of Page

Billd

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2016 :  6:11:08 PM  Show Profile  REPLY

Still doing research but I have found similar towns such as Franklin and Holliston have marijuana cultivation facilities with no significant issues noted and significant financial contributions through RE taxes, annual mitigation payments upwards of $100 k plus a percentage of gross sales, as well as other financial contributions to local organizations. Franklin also appears to be trying to impose a local tax on sales. Trying to keep an open mind while researching pros and cons. No pun intended.
Go to Top of Page

Billd

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  06:48:25 AM  Show Profile  REPLY

Here is a Fox25 report on the Franklin facility which is the largest in the state. The proposed facility in Easton would be the state's largest at 50,000 sq feet, with plans to expand to 90,000 sq feet in the future. There is a November 2016 ballot question re: legalizing marijuana in MA.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/news/fox25-investigates-behind-the-scenes-of-medical-marijuana-in-mass/149391846
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Jump To:
EastonMass.com © 2000-02 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000